Sunday, March 16, 2008

India

March 17 @ 9:00 am

We're half way through our voyage! I doesn't seem possible.

India, India, India . . . so large, so many cultures, so many languages, so many religions, great people, wonderful temples, so much good food, beautiful colors, rickshaws, cars, buses, traffic! trash almost everywhere, horrible smog, and extreme poverty and disease in many places (and also extreme wealth in the upper caste); it's difficult to describe. Many of the students looked for a word to describe their experiences and the word I heard most often was 'amazing'.

Since I had seen the Taj Mahal previously, I didn't make the trip to Delhi and Agra where most of the students chose to go. Instead I went to the 'Art of Living and Dakshinachitra Hertiage Village Stay' where 30 of us participated in an intensive course of yoga, breathing exercises, meditation, and Eastern philosophy. (website: www.artofliving.org) Again, there was so much information, it was hard to absorb all of it. It was described in our information as a life-changing event and I believe it certainly could be if I practiced what I learned on a regular basis. I was the trip leader and there were 3 other women who attended; the remaining 26 attendees were students (included 4 young men). The students who chose to attend were 26 outstanding young people who were not the complainers and trouble makers so it was a completely relaxing and wonderful trip.
On the way to the village we visited an ancient historic monument, Mamallapuram (I believe it is these buildings that are a World Heritage site). Mamallapuram includes a 1,200-year-old temple, ancient sculptures and an ancient Hindu temple. Impressive! It is located near the ocean so I got to stand and watch the waves and think of Southern California.
In the village, we visited the recreated 19th century houses from four southern states of India. Years ago, an American woman married an Indian man and they were interested in creating a culture center for South India, so the houses were chosen from different places, torn down and reconstructed on this site. The houses contain examples of how the families lived. While we were there, school children and university students were visiting to study some of their heritage. There were also visitors from the Amsterdam cruise ship. Great place!
And we were served wonderful vegetarian meals. The first night, we sat on the floor, and were served the food on a banana leaf and ate with our fingers. Each meal was different, and the main course was always rice, and prepared in many different ways. Yum!
I spent some time shopping for clothes. Today I am wearing one of the white cotton blouses and a pair of shoes that I bought at a bazaar. I also went to a very modern shopping center where everything is available.
On the last day, I went to the Theosophical Society and Kapaleeshwara Temple which are within the city of Chennai. Both were interesting places.
Yesterday it was back to work for a half day -- it was a no class day for the students. Today it's a full day of work and we are sailing toward Penang, Malaysia. Tonight begins our mandatory pre-port meetings because we arrive in Penang on Wednesday -- a very short time at sea this time.
I tried to sign on my blog all day yesterday and was not able to sign in so I'll see if I can publish this. Internet access is still challenging.
till later . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home