Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Malaysia

Hi everybody,

This post is a little different -- more personal experiences. I also did three Semester at Sea Tours -- all very interesting. I learned how to tap a rubber tree, saw beautiful batiks, and visited temples, mosques and churches. It seems Malaysia is another country where many cultures, many religions all get along. It was hot and humid and they get lots of rain so it is beautifully green and lush. So here's goes . . . .

While in Malaysia, I realized how cynical I have become—even about wonderful people who were offering to assist me. Many times, and four events in particular, the Malay people were so very helpful, honest, kind, and considerate. At each of these times, I thought, “This is not possible—they plan to take advantage of me.” As I have related the following stories to friends on board, they have correctly said, “These are the memories you will remember the most.” And many passengers have also related heartwarming similar stories.

First, the Malaysian tour company came on board, changed our U.S.dollars to Malaysian ringgits, provided post cards plus postage to conveniently purchase and offered to mail the post cards. In this instance, I thought, “Can I trust them to really take them to the post office?” Yes, I decided I could, and I feel confident every post card was mailed.

For the second “miracle” which happened to me, I have to tell you about a huge mistake I made -- I left my camera in the ladies room at the Eastern and Oriental Hotel after a friend, Mike, and I had high tea. It was 11:00pm in my cabin when I discovered that I didn’t have my camera with me. I was trip leader for a tour the next day, so I asked Mike to go back to the hotel and ask if anyone had turned it in to Lost and Found—all the while thinking “that would never happen.” Mike graciously agreed, and when he asked the woman in the gift store (the store was across the hall from the restrooms and we had stopped in there to look at the merchandise) she said, yes, she had found it and took it to Lost and Found at the Front Desk. Mike retrieved the camera—there were two in the Lost and Found and he identified my camera because I had asked the waiter to take our picture. What other place in the world would that have happened? I am truly grateful for their honesty.

I was restless on the evening when I was waiting to find out if I would get my camera back, so I went out for a walk and started looking for a food market for some snacks. When I saw two Chinese women walking in front of me, I asked where I could find a market. One replied, “The market is far, my car is right here, get in and I’ll take you.” I wondered, “Will they kidnap me?” but decided to go with them. They took me to the market, one went in with me, and the other waited in the car until I finished shopping. I began asking the one in the market with me about the local food. I picked up some biscuits, and she said, “If you want these, we’ll take you to the bakery and you can buy them fresh.” I purchased a few things in the store and got back in the car and they took me to the bakery where I sampled the biscuits, decided they were delicious, and bought them. Then they insisted on bringing me back to the pier. How wonderful of them to help a foreigner. I expressed my gratitude for their time and the transportation. I told them as I got out of the car that I hoped that if they ever visited the U.S., they would find Americans as helpful as they were. Somehow, I doubt that visitors to the U.S. are greeted with such respect.

On my last day in Georgetown, I wanted to go to the Komtar Shopping mall. I had been told that the city bus went to that mall, so I found the correct one, told the driver I needed to be told when to get off and he politely agreed. When I wanted to return, I went to the same place I had gotten off the bus, but two drivers indicated I needed to take a different bus even though the sign on them said “Jetty.” I was looking bewildered in the bus terminal when the first driver I asked pulled along side me and indicated for me to get on the bus. He said, “I will show you where you need to be.” He dropped me off across the street and said, “Take the next bus.” I did and it came to the pier. It is amazing to me how everyone went out of their way to help a stranger.

Dear Malaysia, one of my most favorite ports, I will return. I feel there are many marvelous people/great adventures still to be experienced.

It's Tues. night at 8:15 pm and I am sitting in my office watching the Cultural Pre-Port on Viet Nam on closed circuit. We'll arrive in Viet Nam on Thursday morning. I think one of my Returned Peace Corps Volunteer friends, Jim, will meet me for dinner for Thursday evening. He travels to Viet Nam frequently, so he will be able to give me some good tips while visiting Viet Nam.

We have been anchored off shore near Singapore today because the captain said fuel costs were less here. For the first time tonight we get to set our clocks back one hour -- yeah, an extra hour of sleep!

We've been having trouble with accessing the internet (again) so I'll see if I can publish this.

My life is wonderful and I wish the same for you.



2 Comments:

At March 28, 2008 at 7:56 PM , Blogger jade said...

That experience of great hospitality and trustworthiness evokes memories of my early '80s So. Amer. jaunt. I think that some foreigners experience this in U.S. (one Aussie I knew said so) but I imagine a small percentage.

Jade

I think we finally got google to let us through. Please answer this so we can be sure.
John

 
At April 1, 2008 at 11:25 PM , Blogger David Caywood said...

Your instinct was correct. The postcards were mailed. We received ours today!

Love,
#1 Son
Dave

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home